Welcome to the ACPE Certification Process!
This information is intended to be a helpful overview of first steps and procedures as you begin your certification journey in ACPE. It does not replace two basic resources, the Certification Manual and the Certification Commission Policies and Procedures, both of which are available on the ACPE website under Manuals and Certification.
Once you have been accepted into an ACPE program of Supervisory Education and have met a regional or sub-regional committee for a consultation for Readiness for Supervisory Education, you are advised to begin attending to the following:
- Upgrade your ACPE membership from Student to Clinical Member – contact Toby@acpe.edu to do this.
- The Ethical Accountability Form does not need to be re-submitted in preparation for future committees. Only changes in your Accountability for Ethical Conduct Policy Report Form need to be reported thereafter using your Appendix 9 to do so.
- To determine who your endorser is, submit to Sheilah Hawk at Sheilah@acpe.edu your completed Faith Group Information Form; there is also a form for applying for recognition of your faith group as an endorser if it is not already recognized in the Yearbook of American and Canadian Churches. If you have been endorsed, please submit the endorsement letter for your file. If you know who your endorser is, ignore the form.
- Submit to Sheilah Hawk at Sheilah@acpe.edu documentation of your ordination or commissioning to practice ministry and also document your endorsement by your faith group to participate in the CPE Supervisory Education process.
- Submit to Sheilah Hawk at Sheilah@acpe.edu documentation of your M.Div. or Masters of Theology degree from an accredited school. If you are seeking M.Div. or Masters equivalency, please contact your regional certification chair to request an assessment of equivalency. This needs to be completed before you apply to meet for Candidacy. Any documentation showing equivalency should be submitted to Sheilah at Sheilah@acpe.edu. See Definition of Terms for details.
- When all of the above is completed, you may send your Appendix 9 to Sheilah at Sheilah@acpe.edu for signature and this will be returned to you for inclusion in your Candidacy materials. Once you have been granted Candidacy status, you have entered the national certification process and may proceed with your position papers. Please note that you should inform the National Office through Sheilah at Sheilah@acpe.edu when you are one month from submitting your papers for review. Please also note that during holiday periods especially, readers may take as long as 90 days to read and respond to your papers. Finally, to clarify the Manual, if any of your papers have been turned down twice, you must submit the third attempt for assignment to a new team of readers or you may contact your regional certification chair to request a face-to-face meeting with a regional team of readers.
Declaration Procedures for Candidates in the National Certification Process:
- All candidates requesting to appear before the Commission should send a letter to the Associate Director via Sheilah at Sheilah@acpe.edu (with a copy to the Commission Chair) as early as possible or by the deadline to declare intent to undergo review. Payment (which may be made by check or credit card) of the requisite fee should accompany the declaration in order to be placed on the list of candidates for the requested Commission meeting. Places on the docket will be awarded on a first come first served basis. Deadlines for declaring intent and submitting materials to the committee are posted on the website.
- No fees will be refunded if the candidate changes plans after declaration unless there is a medical emergency either in the case of the candidate or of a close family member. In either case the fee will be retained for the next appearance planned by the candidate, plus a $25 administrative fee. The candidate will be responsible for any increase in fee.
- In all other cases of withdrawal of declaration, the fee will not be refunded and will not be applied to the fee for the next planned
Following the Regional Policy that is already in place regarding paying fees for Certification, the fee for the Readiness Consultation will be sent to the chair of the Certification Committee. It is best sent at the same time as the CAR from the Readiness Consultation is sent to the Regional Certification Chair.
All questions and requests related to the Regional Certification process should be addressed to your Regional Certification Chairperson; all other questions related to the Certification process should be addressed to Sheilah Hawk and the Chair of the Certification Commission, Rev. Dr. Robin Booth.
Best wishes as you begin this process.
Rev. Mary Stewart Hall, Director of Pastoral Care
Regional Certification Chair for the Southwest Region
Methodist Dallas Medical Center
1441 North Beckley Avenue
Office Phone: (214) 947-2470
Fax: (214) 947-2478
Questions/Inquiries Regarding National Certification Commission to:
Rev. Dr. Robin Booth
Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc.
1549 Clairmont Rd. Ste. 103
Decatur, GA. 30033