Policies and Procedures
I. Structure and Order
- The Southwest Region ACPE Certification Committee (SWRCC) acts as the agent of the ACPE Certification Commission in matters delegated to regional Certification Committees. In addition, the SWRCC acts to support supervisory education and to consult with supervisors as requested. No policy or procedure of the SWRCC shall be contrary to the ACPE Standards, ACPE Certification Commission Manual, or the Governance Manual of the SW Region ACPE.
- It is the responsibility of the SWRCC to review persons requesting certification as Supervisory Candidate and to grant or deny such status. A person may request a review for Certified Supervisor at the SWRCC. When this occurs, a member of the Certification Commission will function as a sub-committee of the ACPE Certification Commission and the vote will be ratified by the body of the Commission at their next scheduled meeting.
- It is the responsibility of the SWRCC to review persons requesting extension of certification as Supervisory Candidate or Associate Supervisor and to grant or deny that request.
- It is the responsibility of the SWRCC to consult with students entering Supervisory CPE and their training supervisor. The SWRCC will also consult with any supervisor concerning certification concerns, issues, or development, when requested.
- It is the responsibility of the SWRCC to review a supervisor’s competence to continue a certified membership based either on the supervisor’s inactivity or when evidence comes to the Committee’s attention that calls into question a supervisor’s competence.
- It is the responsibility of the SWRCC on behalf of the Certification Commission to maintain a cadre of readers for the purpose of reading and evaluating Supervisory Position Papers. In accord with the Certification Manual, the chairperson (or designee) will arrange for face-to-face discussions between
position paper writers and readers when requested to do so by the Associate Director of ACPE.
- The SWRCC shall be composed of twelve (12) members. The members shall be elected by the region on a class basis with each class of four (3) being elected to serve for the period of that class. Members may succeed themselves once and then must wait one year before being elected again to the SWRCC.
- It is preferred that the chair and chair-elect each serve three-year terms. However, whenever, a person is elected chair-elect, s/he will serve a minimum of one year as a chair-elect and three years as chair. (This provision may result in an individual serving more than six years consecutively on the SWRCC.) Neither the chair nor chair-elect can succeed themselves in this capacity. In years where there is not a chair-elect, one of the Commission At-Large Representatives will be appointed by the Chair to perform the duties of the office.
- When a vacancy in membership occurs thene the chair and chair-elect shall recommend a replacement to the chair of the Nominating Committee and to the Leadership Council. The Leadership Council may approve the recommendation or name an alternate replacement.
- Only ACPE Certified Supervisors can serve as members of this committee.
- When a specific meeting of the SWRCC requires more persons than the available Committee Members, the Chair is authorized to “co-op” Certified Supervisors to serve for the purposes of that meeting.
- Commission Service: The Southwest Region is authorized by the Certification Commission to name three persons to serve on the Certification Commission. Normally these persons will be the Chair, Chair-Elect, and an At-Large Representative. Each is authorized two terms of three years each. The chair and chair-elect’s terms will run concurrent with their service as officers of the SWRCC. The At-Large Representative’s term may be independent of service on the SWRCC.
- Election of Officers: The SWRCC proposes to the Nominating Committee nominations for Southwest Region Representatives to the ACPE Certification Commission for Chair, Chair-Elect, and Commission At-Large Representative with elections being at the Membership Meeting. When a chair-elect is not available for a year, a second Commission At-Large Representative will be elected for a one year term of service.
D. Duties of Officers
- The Chairperson shall preside at all Committee meetings, shall establish a tentative agenda, shall make known to the Region dates of Committee availability for review and consultation, shall schedule meetings between those who request meeting with the Committee and sub-committees of the SWRCC, ensure that the SWRCC fulfills all expectations as stated in the Certification Commission Manual, and discharge other duties as delegated to him/her by the SW Region Leadership Council. The chairperson will normally serve as a region representative to the Certification Commission.
- The Chair-elect shall temporarily assume the duties of the chair at the request of the chair or in the chair’s inability to act. The chair-elect is delegated the responsibility for facilitating the Position Paper Reader process within the region and for implementing procedures for Review of Supervisory Competence if such situation arises. The chair-elect will serve as a region representative to the Certification Commission. The chair-elect will serve as recording secretary at all meetings. The chair-elect will review the certification docket prior to its submission as part of the mentoring process.
- The Commission At-Large Representative serves as a region representative to the Certification Commission and will administer the duties of the chair-elect in the absence or inability to act of the chair-elect.
- The SWRCC may elect other officers as may serve its effective functioning (e.g., secretary, regional education facilitator, etc.).
- The Certification Committee will meet at least twice annually.
- The chairperson will set meeting dates and places which result in time-and cost efficient gatherings.
When forms of communication other than face-to-face meetings will achieve the purposes of the meeting, these forms will be utilized.
A. Procedures for all reviews are published in the most recent Certification Commission Manual.
B. The chair shall publish to all Associate and Certified Supervisors in the region the dates for upcoming meetings and deadlines for fees and written materials to be submitted. This announcement will be ninety (90 days) prior to the meeting.
- The applicant is responsible for ensuring receipt of the request. The Chair shall instruct applicants to confirm receipt of all materials, electronic or otherwise.
- The announcement may be in the SW Region Newsletter or in a special mailing.
- The applicant will send the Letter of Intent by mail or email to the Regional Certification Chair and Financial Coordinator with a copy to the ACPE Associate Director.
- The applicant will be invoiced by the Regional Financial Coordinator (put name and address in appendix) for payment of fees.
C. The deadline for notification of intent to meet a sub-committee sixty (60 days) prior to the meeting. The Region through the procedures of the Finance Committee shall set the amount of the fee. The fee will not be refundable. The fee may be applied to a future meeting of the committee if the applicant requests such extension prior to the due date for materials to be received by presenters.
D. The chair, or chair-elect shall organize sub-committees of not less than three (3) members, Reviews for Certified Supervisor require five (5) members. The organization of the subcommittee will be attentive to multicultural and gender representation.
E. When the applicant notifies the Certification Chair of her/his wish to present her/ himself for review or consultation and has paid the required fee, the chair will notify the applicant of the materials required, if any, of place, date, and hour of the appointment, the name and address of the presenter, and the deadline for delivering the required materials to the presenter. This deadline will be four weeks prior to the date of the meeting. All applicants must consult the Certification Commission Manual for materials to submit to the committee. Applicants may consult the chair for clarification regarding required materials and other procedures.
F. When the applicant believes that a particular Certification Committee member cannot provide an impartial hearing, it is the applicant’s responsibility to notify the Certification Chair of that information at the time of declaration of intent to meet the SWRCC.
G. The chair will provide to the subcommittee all necessary information and forms to accomplish their responsibilities to each applicant.
H. Committee Action Reports will be in the possession of the applicant within fourteen (14 days) of the committee appearance.
I. If decisions made are of such a nature that communication with the Commission and/or the National Office is required; the chair will provide such communication within fourteen (14 days) of appearance.
J. Procedures related to extensions of Candidacy, Supervisory Competency and Appeals of negative decisions may be found in the National ACPE Certification Manual.